There is nothing worse than seeing that gorgeous diamond or precious stone not shining the way it used to. So how can you bring your jewels back to looking pristine? If you don’t have time for a trip to the jeweller, here are some simple DIY techniques which will help you restore the shine and allure of your favourite pieces, from diamonds to gold and gemstones. Let's bring back the sparkle.
Gathering your supplies:
First things first, begin by collecting the necessary materials:
- A mild dish soap like Dawn dish soap or Sunlight liquid
- Warm water, not hot
- Soft-bristled toothbrush
- Microfiber or lint-free cloth
- A bowl
Cleaning gold, reviving gemstones and brightening diamonds
- Fill a small bowl with a mixture of warm water and a few drops of mild dish soap.
- Soak your jewellery for a few minutes to let the oils and dirt loosen.
- Gently scrub your pieces with this solution using a soft toothbrush, while removing dirt or grime. Focus on the crevices, prongs, settings, and intricate details. Be cautious with soft gems.
- Rinse under warm running water to ensure all the soap is off.
- Pat dry with a lint-free cloth. Avoid paper towels as it can scratch delicate surfaces.
Just a little side note: Some gems require special care. For instance, pearls and opals should never be soaked. Instead, wipe them gently with a damp cloth.
Once you’ve cleaned your jewellery, store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Avoid contact with chemicals like perfumes, lotions, or harsh cleaning agents like bleach or chlorine. Lastly, regularly clean your jewellery to prevent buildup and tarnish. At least once a year, have your jewellery professionally cleaned to ensure a deep cleanse and proper maintenance.
With a little care and these simple DIY techniques, you can enjoy dazzling, clean jewellery that looks brand new. Remember, regular upkeep and appropriate storage are key to preserving your pieces' beauty for years to come. Happy sparkling!