+27 83 271 6065 info@markwhitehorn.co.za
If you have any queries then Contact Us Now

Mini Cart

Wedding anniversary

There have traditionally been gifts associated with certain wedding anniversaries, where these gifts get bigger as time progresses, where many of the bigger wedding anniversaries are linked to diamonds and other precious gemstones.

Push presents

A push present is a present that a father gives to the mother after she has given birth to their child. It is given as a symbol of his appreciation for the pregnancy and labour experience of the woman, and it also signifies the joy of having a newborn baby. The giving of a push present has grown in popularity in recent years, and it is typically an eternity ring.

A birthstone is a precious gem stone that is linked with a certain month of the year, where each birthstone is thought to be lucky and significant for those born in the associated month. Pieces of jewellery containing the birthstone of the recipient are often given as gifts.

The belief in the power of birthstones most likely comes from ancient times, where it was thought that gemstones came from the heavens. There are many legends about the mystical healing powers of birthstones, where wearing a gemstone during its month of influence was believed to heighten the healing powers of the stone, as well as other powers that are discussed below.

The various birthstones and their respective meanings are as follows:

There are a number of different precious metals that are used in the making of jewellery, where white gold, yellow gold, rose gold, and platinum are the main metals that Mark uses. Furthermore, these metals come in different caratage, depending on the amount of alloy metals that are mixed with gold.

Gold is often mixed with an alloy of different metals in order to make it hard enough to use for jewellery. The most popular alloy metals are silver, copper, platinum, and palladium, where the proportions of these metals differ according to whether the desired result is white gold, yellow gold or rose gold.

The different types of gold are:

  • 24-carat gold refers to gold that is 99.99 percent pure. However, 24-carat gold is too soft to use in the making of jewellery.
  • 18-carat is gold that is made up of 75 percent pure gold, while the remaining 25 percent is an alloy of various metals.
  • 14-carat gold is 58.5 percent pure gold with the balance of 41.5 percent comprised of alloy metals.
  • 9-carat gold is 37.5 percent pure gold, and the remaining 62.5 percent is made up of alloy metals.

Lastly, jewellery platinum is made up of 95 percent pure platinum, with the 5 percent balance being either pure gold or a ruthenium alloy to make it more durable.

Colour: The value of a diamond increases as it becomes more and more colourless. A completely colourless diamond (also called a blue-white or colour D) tends to have the highest value.

The colour scale ranges from D (the most colourless) to Z (the diamond has traces of colour).

The exception to this is the fancy colour diamonds, where these diamonds can be any colour. The most valuable colours are blue, red, and pink diamonds.

Clarity: The clarity of a diamond refers to how many imperfections reside in the stone (internally or externally). These imperfections are called inclusions, and appear as black or white specks or lines in the stone. The less inclusions in the stone (or the smaller the inclusions), the higher the clarity of the diamond, and consequently the more valuable it is. Furthermore, the value of the stone also depends on the location of the inclusions, where inclusions located on the edges of the diamond are better than those located in the centre, for example.

All clarity is graded at 10x magnification, and the clarity of a diamond can range from FL (flawless, where there are no inclusions at 10x magnification) to VS1/2 (very very slightly included, where inclusions are barely visible at 10x magnification) to I3 (where there are very obvious eye visible inclusions without magnification).

Billions of years ago when your diamond was formed under intense pressure and heat, irregularities may have formed within its structures. For example, fissures may have developed, or a crystal may have been captured within the structure of the diamond (where there have even been cases of diamonds with coloured gemstones, such as garnets, inside).

Cut: The cut of a diamond is often considered to be the most important of the four Cs. This is because if the diamond is not cut to the correct proportions then it will not sparkle.

The choice of cut is determined by the shape of the rough diamond, the location of inclusions, and the maximisation of the weight (carat) of the stone.

The most popular cut is the round brilliant, as this has the highest refraction of light, which means that it is the sparkliest cut. The round brilliant cut has been perfected by mathematical and empirical analysis.

Carat: The term carat refers to the weight of a diamond, where 1 carat is equal to 0.2 grams. The bigger the carat of the diamond (depending on the cut, colour and clarity), the more valuable the diamond.

In the trade, we say that there are 100 points to a carat to allow for very precise measurements of weight. These are often referred to as “pointers”, for example a 50-pointer is equal to half a carat (0.50 carats).